Imagine allowing one of your biggest inner struggles to be the catalyst for your entrepreneurial journey? And you're only 21!
Well, that's exactly what Kayley Reed and Kyle MacNevin decided to do when they met while volunteering for an organization that supports mental health awareness.
They were both University students at the time - struggling with their own mental health issues- and were searching for a way to express what they were feeling inside, because it wasn't always easy to talk about.
And so, Wear Your Label was born from a seemingly simple idea and has grown into a well-known Canadian brand with major partnerships with national and international organizations and their vision has in turn, created a supportive and loyal community for those dealing with mental health issues.
On the surface, it may look like they just created another clothing line. But it's so much bigger than that.
Their mission is to end the stigma around mental health and create a platform in which conversations can continue without the shame or embarrassment that often follows.
In this very raw and authentic interview, Kayley doesn't try to sugar coat anything. Her life hasn't been full of sunshine and rainbows and starting a company has not been easy on her or Kyle.
She's honest about her own struggles with mental health in our interview and explains that she's learning to embrace the good with the bad and take one day at a time.
This interview will certainly prove that nothing in life is impossible when your WHY for doing something is crystal clear.
An idea can spawn a movement and create impactful change, if you are willing to put yourself out there and be vulnerable in the process.
I hope you enjoy this conversation as much as I did and be sure to check out their awesome products!!
Some Questions I asked:
- What was your original vision for the company?
- Can you elaborate on your unique design process and how you are different from other brands?
- What is a role model, in connection to Wear Your Label and how can someone become a role model?
- How did you guys start a clothing brand without fashion or branding experience?
- Tell us about some of the amazing collaborations you've done over the last two years and how that's impacted you on a personal level?
- Why is starting Wear Your Label the "best and worst decision" you've ever made for your mental health?
- In your opinion, what steps can we take as a society to end the stigma around mental health? What still needs to be done?
- And so much more...
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- Why self-care isn't selfish and why it's ok not to be ok
- What their letter writing initiative entails
- The changes that are taking place at Wear Your Label and why they're modifying the seasons of the fashion industry
- Why there's no such thing as an overnight success
- How to find your own self-care practices when faced with a busy lifestyle
- How owning your emotions will change your perspective
- Their new collaborations
- And a lot more...
- Harry Potter Series by J.K Rowling
- Joe Fresh
- Jacob Hoggard of Hedley + Wear Your Label
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Stigmafree Campaign
CONNECT WITH KAYLEY & WEAR YOUR LABEL
ENJOY THE PODCAST?
Feel inspired? If you know anyone who would enjoy this episode, please share this link with them. The more inspired people our world has, the happier a place it will be. Just click the share button on the left side of the screen and let's spread these stories and messages. Feel free to leave a comment below and share your thoughts- I'd love to know what you think.
SPREAD LOVE AND KINDNESS, DTN CREW!
** BE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL AND JOIN THE INSIDER CREW FOR UPDATES **
Edited by: James Findlay