Unlike a lot of us, Erin always knew what she wanted to be.
From an early age, her mom - who worked in technology and PR- would discuss marketing ideas at the dinner table with her, and they would analyze situations and come up with new concepts.
Fast forward a few years, with a degree in Journalism from Carleton University, and a chance introduction to a young entrepreneur, Erin's career took an interesting turn (in a great way).
With little knowledge of the startup landscape or what her new role would actually entail ( what was a Community Manager, anyways, except for a buzzword back in 2008?!), Erin jumped into her new career with a hunger to learn and grow the new startup Sprouter, one handshake at a time.
Many years have past since her initial foray into entrepreneurialism, and she's taken on multiple roles within different organizations; but Erin credits her willingness to take on new challenges as her key to success. Pushing past the feelings of being an imposter, and learning how to build companies and her own personal brand, has turned her into an expert within the tech and marketing space.
She's even been re-tweeted by Oprah, twice!! Not many people can say that.
We discuss everything from networking, the power of failure and the lessons you learn, how to build your own personal brand, digital marketing and investing in people and ideas.
Although Erin now runs her own team at Eighty-Eight Agency- a Creative Communications Agency- as the Managing Director, she's a big believer in supporting her employees future goals and their own entrepreneurial dreams.
Who doesn't love the side hustle?! You just never know what can happen if you take a chance and try.
QUESTIONS I ASKED:
- How did you get into the entrepreneurial space?
- What was it like when you first took on the role of Community Manager at Sprouter?
- How do you deal with the dreaded imposter syndrome?
- How did you build up the brand of Sprouter and BetaKit?
- What was your biggest failure that most people don't know much about?
- What were some of the strategies you used to build these companies from the ground up?
- What does 88 Creative do?
- How do you motivate your team on a daily basis?
- Why do you hate complacency? And how have you been able to avoid it?
- And so much more
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- The value of networking and why you shouldn't dismiss nepotism
- Why college is just as valuable as University
- How to build a company brand and personal brand
- Why the best thing to happen to a person could be a layoff
- Why you should always take on new challenges and how this will help you get ahead in your field
- The power of creating a side hustle (you never know what can happen)
- The importance of having a great support system and coach to help you move your business forward
- And lots more
CONNECT WITH ERIN & 88 CREATIVE
ENJOY THE PODCAST?
Feel inspired? If you know anyone who would enjoy this episode, please share this link with them. The more inspired people our world has, the happier a place it will be. Just click the share button on the left side of the screen and let's spread these stories and messages. Feel free to leave a comment below and share your thoughts- I'd love to know what you think.
SPREAD LOVE AND KINDNESS, DTN CREW!
** BE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL AND JOIN THE INSIDER CREW FOR UPDATES **
Edited by: James Nicholson