Laura Davidson didn't always have the entrepreneurial bug.
But she did struggle to stay motivated to keep in shape and live a healthy lifestyle. She often found herself on workout binges, where she'd go to the gym a lot and eat healthy for some time, only to fall off when she'd get invitations to go out drinking, attend the hippest party or try the latest restaurant in the city.
It was a cycle. One I'm sure a lot of people can relate to.
But she was tired of it.
It was time to start living a healthier lifestyle and make sure that it became a habit. But how - that was the million dollar question...
Since she was surrounded by entrepreneurs at her day job - she's an Account Manager for Kevin O'Leary's financial firm, O'Leary Ventures (CBC's Dragon's Den)- she was motivated to create her own entrepreneurial path.
Armed with an interest in fitness and a desire to connect others to get sweaty together (because it's hard to stay motivated if you're not accountable), she came up with an idea for a social fitness APP that people could download to find new friends to work out with.
Whistle APP is like the Tinder for fitness. You create a profile, and pick how you like to sweat and then you search for fitness buddies to workout with. If you like what a person has to say and align with their fitness interests, you swipe RIGHT and if you don't, swipe LEFT.
It's that simple.
And it's taken off. Laura has big plans for the APP, so if you want to hear her own personal fitness journey; how she got it off the ground; the struggles she deals with trying to juggle a full-time job, and her side hustle; and how she builds brand partnerships and awareness about her APP, then you'll definitely want to tune into this episode!!
QUESTIONS I ASKED:
- First things first, how did you end up working for Kevin O'Leary?
- Why did you decide to launch a fitness app- where did the motivation come from?
- Have you always struggled to maintain your ideal body weight?
- How do you even create an app- what is the process?
- What was the financial commitment like to get this type of thing off the ground?
- Biggest challenges you've faced so far?
- How have you been able to partner with other brands, without spending a crazy amount of money?
- Have you lost friends due to the change in your lifestyle? And how have you been able to deal with that?
- Where do you hope to see Whistle APP in five years time?
- What would you credit as the reason for being able to kick those bad habits?
- And so much more
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- How to balance a side hustle with a full time job
- Why it's important to take risks
- The value of a routine and figuring out what works for your body (everyone is different, guys)
- How to create and launch an app
- What type of professionals you need on your 'team' if you aren't a technology focused person in order to create an APP
- How to build a community without a lot of money
- Laura's #1 tip she wish she followed before starting Whistle
- The important of loving yourself first and being patient
- And lots more
CONNECT WITH Laura & whistle app
ENJOY THE PODCAST?
Feel inspired? If you know anyone who would enjoy this episode, please share this link with them. The more inspired people our world has, the happier a place it will be. Just click the share button on the left side of the screen and let's spread these stories and messages. Feel free to leave a comment below and share your thoughts- I'd love to know what you think.
SPREAD LOVE AND KINDNESS, DTN CREW!
** BE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL AND JOIN THE INSIDER CREW FOR UPDATES **