Remember the Jackass movies with Johnny Knoxville and crew back in the early 2000's?
Well, they were definitely pretty transformative for a lot of kids. For Perry Grone and his friends, these movies just happened to be the catalyst to his film career.
Before the age of 13, he was filming random stuff around his town. By the age of 13, he had made his first movie. Was it good? Perry didn't think so. But that's besides the point. The fact is, he knew right away that this was what he wanted to do and he was going to work really hard to make it a reality.
There's two types of thinking in the film world - you can either go to school and get a degree in filmmaking and learn the trade that way, OR you can just keep practising and get better with each take.
Perry chose the latter. But he still went to school and studied digital communications, where he created a TV show called Glimpses, which allowed students to create and broadcast their own films. In retrospect, he was always taking chances and pushing his own limits.
That's how he lives his life. And that risk taking persona and innate curiosity, is also what led him to apply for an online job listing that was looking for a filmmaker for free. Not ideal; but something inside of him told him this was what he was meant to do.
And from that opportunity, he ended up in LA where he serendipitously met his now housemates and great friends, the guys of the popular YouTube channel, YES Theory.
Under his own production umbrella, 506 Productions, Perry's been able to work and collaborate with brands such as Snapchat, Redbull, WeJourney, YouTube stars, musicians and so many more.
Would all of this had been possible if he never took risks and pushed past his own self enforced limitations - his answer, definitely not.
We discuss everything from his first film, to how he collaborates with brands, how he makes a living, risk taking and so much more. You don't want to miss this one!
SOME QUESTIONS I ASKED:
- What sparked your interest in filmmaking?
- Do you remember the first film you ever made?
- Why didn't you end up going to film school?
- What's been your craziest filming experience?
- What was the first film job you ever took on?
- Did you ever think you'd be able to make a career out of your passion?
- Which filmmakers inspire you and fuel your creative process?
- How did you get connected to all those big brands?
- What's your big vision for your life's work?
- What's been the biggest risk you've taken to date and how has it changed you?
- And so much more...
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- How to take risks in life that will help propel you forward
- Why you need to say yes to many things, even if you are uncertain
- How to network your way to your dreams
- Why you need to have the courage to believe in your own dreams
- How to look at some jobs as stepping stones (even if it doesn't fit your 'vision')
- Why Perry believes in taking some jobs that don't necessarily pay you
- And lots more...
CONNECT WITH PERRY & 506 PRODUCTIONS
ENJOY THE PODCAST?
Feel inspired? If you know anyone who would enjoy this episode, please share this link with them. The more inspired people our world has, the happier a place it will be. Just click the share button on the left side of the screen and let's spread these stories and messages. Feel free to leave a comment below and share your thoughts- I'd love to know what you think.
SPREAD LOVE AND KINDNESS, DTN CREW!
** BE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL AND JOIN THE INSIDER CREW FOR UPDATES **
Edited by: James Nicholson