What does it mean to be truly mindful?
This question and the word mindfulness has turned into somewhat of a buzzword these days. Everyone's talking about it. There are so many apps that you can download to your phone that will guide you through meditations.
People are basically throwing the word around like confetti, often without truly understanding it's meaning.
the quality or state of being conscious or aware of something.
"their mindfulness of the wider cinematic tradition"
a mental state achieved by focusing one's awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one's feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique.
These days, it seems that everyone is seeking to be more mindful and conciously more in tune with their body and mind because of the stresses of society.
They want to achieve a more enlightened state that they've heard will offer them clarity, less anxiety and more focus.
But attaining this state isn't as easy as it seems. It takes work and a lot of energy. However, the key here is that everyone can do it and it does offer a lot of great benefits for both your mental and physical health.
Melanie Tsesler got into minfulness somewhat by accident. She may have been raised by a health focused mother, but meditation and mindfulness wasn't at the forefront of her upbringing.
For years she had the intention of going to medical school. She had been working in a hospital as a volunteer and was in the process of writing her MCATS at the tail end of her undergrad. But when that dream didn't pan out as planned, she suddenly realized that she had a strong interest in learning about the brain, healthy living and mental health.
But the real question - how would she combine those three interests?
It was this question that ultimately set her on the path to study mindfulness in grad school. Some might not believe this type of reality, but a lot of things that Melanie has in her life is a result of manifestation, mindfulness and the universe working for her highest good.
She now hosts workshops at the very hospitals she was volunteering at, to help health practitioners find more inner peace, less stress and more balance. She gives talks at the schools she once attended, to train kids on how to be more mindful in their everyday lives. And she blended her passion for meditation and yoga, by working with local yoga studios to offer their clients a mindfulness practice.
Melanie's story is a true testament as to what is possible for your life, if you are open and willing to accept change - even if it wasn't what you initially had in mind.
SOME QUESTIONS I ASKED:
- How do you manage your own expectations regarding how you want your life to be?
- What are your tips for staying in the present moment?
- Were you brought up in a household that valued mindful living?
- When did this journey begin for you?
- How did you end up becoming a teacher of mindfulness?
- How would you describe yourself before you started on this journey?
- Did you always want to be in this field?
- How would you coach someone who has never meditated before?
- What are your favourite types of meditation - because there are so many!
- Was it scary when you launched out on your own?
- And so much more...
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
- How to incorporate meditation and mindfulness into your daily lives
- How to not expect perfection and welcome acceptance
- We'll take you through a guided meditation
- Ways to make your first meditation experience enjoyable
- How to be mindful in a chaotic world
- The five things Mel can't live without
- How she find clients for her business and has built up a following
- And lots more...
- Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell
- Mindful Beginnings
- Moksha Yoga Thornhill
CONNECT WITH MEL & Mindful Beginnings
ENJOY THE PODCAST?
Feel inspired? If you know anyone who would enjoy this episode, please share this link with them. The more inspired people our world has, the happier a place it will be. Just click the share button on the left side of the screen and let's spread these stories and messages. Feel free to leave a comment below and share your thoughts- I'd love to know what you think.
SPREAD LOVE AND KINDNESS, DTN CREW!
** BE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL AND JOIN THE INSIDER CREW FOR UPDATES **
Edited by: James Nicholson