We all have great ideas - ideas are abundant in this world; but the question is, do we ACT on them?
Joanna Waterfall did just that, and I know there are a bunch of women who are extremely grateful for it.
The idea came to her when she was feeling burned out and creatively stifled. Like many creative entrepreneurs, she was tired of competing and comparing herself to other women.
Joanna is a graphic designer by trade, and as she put it, she kept meeting so many amazing women through various circumstances.
These random women were working hard, running businesses and doing what they loved not for status, or to gain more social traction; it was simply to make an impact on the world.
And that was it. She was inspired. It was time to get these women in the same room at the same time.
But how? What would that look like?
That's when the lightbulb went off. And it went off in such a funny place (hint: you'll have to listen to the interview to find out).
It was immediately clear to me (not just through my research) that Joanna is an extremely ambitious person. And so it's no shock that she came up with and executed the idea for The Yellow Conference.
Sorry Canadian friends, we can cry together. It's not here yet! (but we talked about that, too)
The conference is in it's fourth year now, bringing together "creative innovators from all over the world in one room to connect, get inspired, & receive practical tools and resources to help turn their dreams into tangible realities."
THERE IS POWER WHEN WE COME TOGETHER. - THE YELLOW CONFERENCE
She's brought in speakers like Caitlin Crosby (Founder of The Giving Keys), Vik Harrison (VP of Creative at charity:water), and Sarah Dubbeldam (Founder of Darling Magazine)- just to name a few.
I hope you enjoy the interview, as I know you'll find a lot of Joanna's story to be extremely relatable and actionable.
A little less talking and a lot more action, and you'll be well on your way to achieving a goal of yours!
Trust me. Collaboration over competition. This is the key to success and fulfilling relationships with others.
Some Questions I asked:
- How do you manage to run your graphic design company and The Yellow Conference and the online platform? What's the balancing act look like?
- Did you always want to be a change-maker?
- How did you figure out how to price your work as a creative?
- What struggles have you faced along the way as an entrepreneur?
- Where did the idea for The Yellow Conference come from and why yellow?
- How did you manage to get your conference known in the first year?
- What are five tips that people should know in order to launch a live event? Where should you start?
- And so much more.
What You'll Learn:
- Why it's important to do internships and when to stop working for free
- What you may have to sacrifice for the short term, in order to achieve a long term goal
- Why it's important to not be afraid of trying something you know nothing about
- The process Joanna went through to drown the inner 'liar' syndrome
- The keys for Joanna that have helped her Drown the Noise in her life - including her own self-doubt
- How to get high-level speakers to be a part of your event - without necessarily paying them
- How to run and create a big LIVE event
- How The Yellow Conference is moving from being just a physical hub, to an online platform
- The ways Joanna organizes her week to stay super focused and creatively charged
- And lots more...
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World by Cal Newport
- Rising Strong: The Reckoning. The Rumble. The Revolution. by Brene Brown
- The Giving Keys
Connect with joanna + The Yellow Conference
ENJOY THE PODCAST?
Feel inspired? If you know anyone who would enjoy this episode, please share this link with them. The more inspired people our world has, the happier a place it will be. Just click the share button on the left side of the screen and let's spread these stories and messages. Feel free to leave a comment below and share your thoughts- I'd love to know what you think.
SPREAD LOVE AND KINDNESS, DTN CREW!
** BE SURE TO FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL AND JOIN THE INSIDER CREW FOR UPDATES **